Einheit 1.10 (online)
Please work through the following presentation to learn about grammatical gender.
Online Dictionary. Use dict.cc and look up the gender of the following German words. Be sure to write down the genders as you will need them in the next activity.
Beispiel: die Frage – there are two places to find the gender. Both places are highlighted on this screenshot.
Übung 2. Drag the noun to the correct article.
Above you saw words like Pizza, Konzert, Musik, etc. These nouns mean exactly what you think they mean and you simply have to learn their grammatical gender in German.
What about these words? Can you guess the meaning?
- der Chef
- das Gift
- die Hose
These are what we call false friends or false cognates. These are words that may look familiar, but actually have a very different meaning in German.
What do they mean in English?
- der Chef – boss
- fast – almost
- das Gift – poison
- die Hose – pants, trousers
- spenden – to donate
Here is a website that has a wonderful list of common false friends.
Wortschatz in Quizlet:
Was wissen Sie jetzt? Das Quiz ist in der nächsten Unterrichtsstunde.
Task 1: Mein Selfie Video
Watch the following examples of Task 1:
Make a selfie video introducing yourself and providing basic information about yourself. Use the materials you have learned in this unit. Please do it in one take and do not “edit” your video. Do not read off a script. You can record it yourself or have a friend record it for you. It should be at least 20 seconds long.
This task will be assessed according to the Rubric for Task 1.
Extra Practice (optional):
5 Minute German Grammar
If you want extra practice on the concepts learned today, click the topic below:
- design © csawatzky is licensed under a CC BY-NC-SA (Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike) license
- star © IO-Images is licensed under a Public Domain license
- magnifying-glass © IO-Images is licensed under a Public Domain license
- Frage_highlighted © csawatzky is licensed under a Public Domain license
- link © IO-Images is licensed under a Public Domain license
- check mark © janjf93 adapted by Solomon Hajramezan is licensed under a Public Domain license
- keyboard © IO-Images is licensed under a Public Domain license