After carefully reading this chapter, completing the exercises within it, and answering the questions at the end, you should be able to:
- Summarize the factors that influence the nature of metamorphic rocks and explain why each one is important.
- Recognize foliation and explain the mechanisms for its formation in metamorphic rocks.
- Classify metamorphic rocks on the basis of their texture and mineral content, and explain the origins of these differences.
- Describe the various settings in which metamorphic rocks are formed and the links between plate tectonics and metamorphism.
- Describe the rock cycle and the types of processes that lead to the formation of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks.