Lab 1: Plate Tectonics
|Recommended additional work||Yes – complete Google Earth Tutorial before Lab 1|
|Required materials||Pencil, pencil crayons, ruler, printed Plate Boundaries Map|
After carefully reading this section, completing the exercises within it, and answering the questions at the end, you should be able to:
- Explain the difference between oceanic and continental crust.
- Describe the motion of plates at divergent, convergent, and transform boundaries.
- Characterize divergent, convergent, and transform plate boundaries by their associated geological features and processes.
- Describe how mantle plumes and resulting hot spot volcanoes can be used to determine the direction of plate motion.
- Understand the historical contributions of geoscientists who proposed the theory of plate tectonics.