After reading the information in this chapter, and completing the exercises within it, you should be able to:
- Visualize topographic contours in Google Earth and review the concepts of topographic maps presented in Lab 8.
- Visualize layers of rocks as planes in three-dimensional space, in areas of variable topography.
- Recognize and describe different units of rock in satellite imagery and on geological maps.
- Understand the significance of the information presented on a geological map.
- Understand the concept of dip and dip direction of inclined strata.
- Use the three-dimensional capabilities of Google Earth Pro to identify dip direction of inclined strata.
- Estimate dip direction of inclined strata in map view using the Rule of V’s.