|This chapter we learned about celebrating birthdays in Germany! Here is a video that reviews some of the things we learned as well as introduces a few new ways to encourage or congratulate someone. Interested to learn when we say “Toi, toi, toi!”? Watch this video!
|Check out the song “Was soll ich ihr schenken” by the German band Die Prinzen. The band is made up of former members of the Thomanerchor (the choir of the Thomaskirche in Leipzig). Their songs are often sung a cappella. The lyrics of their songs are often humorous, tongue-in-cheek critiques of German government or society. Watch the video here. What does he eventually gift his girlfriend? Here are the lyrics if you want to read along or even sing along!
Weihnachten – there are soooo many videos to share with you … here are just a few!
Christmas Time in Germany (two exchange students tell you about their favourite German traditions)
Christmas in Basel (no words – just beautiful pictures!)
Christmas in Vienna (in English)
Saint Nicolas (learn more about the 6th of December)
Lifeswap: Yule Love It Christmas Special (“Lifeswap” is a series of short animations that illustrate the adventures and misadventures of two young men, Jörg, 27, from Germany and Duncan, 27, from New Zealand.)
Extra Practice (optional): These activities are from the website Schubert-Verlag.
- all-good-2736070_1920 © Ratfink1973 is licensed under a Public Domain license
- Prinzen2 © The weaver is licensed under a CC BY-SA (Attribution ShareAlike) license
- christmas-market-3890834_1920 © Albrecht Fietz is licensed under a Public Domain license
- mulled-claret-4647804_1920 © Anrita1705 is licensed under a Public Domain license
- mulled-claret-1075689_1920 © RitaE is licensed under a Public Domain license