In order to do the most effective literature search, we need to come up with good search terms. Follow these easy steps to generate search terms.
Three Steps to Search Terms:
- State your research topic
- Identify the main concepts in your topic
- Come up with keywords for each concept
1. State your research topic
What are you interested in studying?
What information do you want to find?
2. Identify the main concepts in your topic
What are the key concepts?
Look for subjects like “whale”, not action words like “effect” or “impact”
3. Come up with keywords for each concept
How many ways can you state each concept?
Look for synonyms, related or alternate words
Make a list of all keywords for each concept
Make a chart to keep track of your concepts and keywords
|1. Global warming||Global warming, climate change|
|3. Migration||Migration, movement|