Chapter 1: Workplace Environment
In this chapter, you
- identified common Canadian workplace interactions and behaviours
- located information in a workplace document
- identified sequence words in texts
- completed workplace forms
- clarified information.
Think about what you did in Chapter 1. Discuss
- something in this chapter that was new to you
- two things you are more confident about now
- one thing you would like to improve
- how mission statements and values affect a company’s culture.
In this chapter, you learned how mission statements and values affect a company’s culture. Select one of the CDN Malls values listed below.
- Keep service foremost in mind.
- Empower people to do their best.
- Take responsibility and be accountable.
- Respect all types of diversity.
- Demonstrate a positive team spirit.
- Promote sustainability and be environmentally friendly.
Think about how this value is important to you in your current context.
Also think about three ways that you could improve your soft skills related to this value. Write a short paragraph about the value and how you could improve your soft skills in that area.
a) Print the Language Observer Log and the Language User Log to help you extend your language learning into daily life.
b) Look at the Chapter Vocabulary List at the end of this chapter and choose four words from this chapter that you want to learn to use, and write them in your language logs.
Informally interview one person who has been through an orientation at a new job. Find out what the process was, how long it took, and whether or not the person found it useful. Talk about this information with your classmate or instructor.
Do one of the following:
- On YouTube, look for a short video giving tips on how to handle your first day on the job. Make notes to present to a classmate or your instructor.
- On the ALIS website, do a search for tips on how to handle the first day on the job. Make notes to present to a classmate or your instructor.