Chapter 3: Workplace Communications
In this chapter, you
- identified common Canadian workplace interactions and behaviours
- identified appropriate body language and eye contact for meetings and presentations
- practised communicating your message in a clear, concise way
- wrote an informal workplace email.
Think about what you learned in Chapter 3. Discuss:
- something that was new to you in this chapter
- two things you are more confident about now
- one thing you would like to improve
- how what you learned in this chapter may help you in your work and in your everyday life.
In this chapter, you learned about policies and procedures.
Write a reflection of one short paragraph about the value of observing safety and other policies in a workplace. Include information about why it is the responsibility of employees to follow these policies and
a) Print the Language Observer Log and the Language User Log to help you extend your language learning into daily life.
b) Look at the Chapter Vocabulary List at the end of this chapter and choose four words from this chapter that you want to learn to use. Write them in your language logs.
Informally interview one person who is working. Ask him/her about the different ways people communicate in his/her workplace and the level of formality that is used. Talk about this information with your classmate or instructor.
Use one of the following links:
Choose a job profile that you are interested in. Choose any two topics within the profile and read them. Write down the important points that you want to remember. Present the information in an organized and concise way to your classmate or instructor.