Appendix 1: Answer Keys
37 Chapter 2: Answer Key
After you read
a) on time
b) without stopping
c) to be responsible for what you do and able to explain it
a) can-do attitude
d) personal management
3. 1e, 2d, 3c, 4b, 5a
Suggestions for answers:
Newsletters are useful for
- sharing important dates for upcoming events
- introducing new programs or ideas
- sharing important information about health and wellness
- reminding people of procedures
- recognizing employees who are doing great work
- recognizing goals that a company has met
- sharing information about improving skills
- reminding people of company values
- sharing information about social events.
Reading progress check
1a, 2d, 3c, 4b
Listening 1: After you listen
- Norman was working there, but he couldn’t get in touch with you.
- It’s important that you are available to respond to emergencies.
- Isn’t your break from 10:00 to 10:15 and Alex’s from 10:30 to 10:45? Norman tried to contact Maintenance at 10:35, but you didn’t respond to the call.
- Since Norman couldn’t get in touch with you, it took some time to find another person to mark the tile as dangerous.
- It’s really important to make sure you are ready to do your job when you are needed.
- It would be good if you stuck to assigned break times so that you’re available when needed, right?
- It’s really important for you to avoid problem situations like this in the future.
Listening 2: After you listen
Listening Progress Check
|to handle something||an event that is usually unpleasant or unusual|
|to be off work||not work for a period of time|
|to retire||choose to stop working
permanently after you have had a career
|a promotion||a more important job in the same company|
|incident||talk about or deal with a problem|
Fact vs. Opinion
|Susan is the manager of CDN Malls.||Raja likes his job.|
|Ten employees work in
Administration at CDN Malls.
|The Halloween event will be fun.|
|The mall is having a Halloween event on October 30 and 31.||It is important to be a responsible employee.|
|Someone tripped and fell in the mall.||Maria feels bad about getting back to work late.|
|The Safewalk review is on October 12.||Sam works for a good company.|
Fact vs. Opinion
|I was at work on Saturday.||I think that whatever was in the box probably broke because the crash was really loud.|
|Ahmed from Tech Shop tripped and fell.||Ahmed’s a really nice guy|
|He fell right in front of our kiosk.||I think it was a new stereo or computer.|
|I went to see if I could help Ahmed after I finished with my customer.||They really need to take better care of the floors here.|
|A person from Maintenance came about 15 minutes later to put up a safety cone.||I think he hurt his hand or wrist or something like that.|
Using Past Tense in Descriptions
- were discussing; arrived
- wanted; wrote
- reported; tried
- was walking; stopped
- were talking; started
- was carrying; tripped
- fell; dropped; broke
Manage time effectively
In order for a company to run smoothly and effectively, all members of the team need to work together, follow their set work schedules, and meet deadlines. Demonstrate that you are a responsible and dependable employee by completing your tasks punctually. Arrive on time for work and after breaks. Check with your supervisor if you need to make a change in your schedule, and ensure that your co-workers are aware of any changes.
Demonstrate a positive attitude
Show that you take pride in your job by working with a positive attitude. A positive, can-do attitude shows your employer that you enjoy what you do, and it makes the workplace a more pleasant place to be. Face challenges optimistically and be solution-oriented. Work cooperatively with your co-workers. Positive employees are the kind of employees who employers like to retain.