Pressbooks is an open source content management system designed for creating books. It is based on WordPress, and can export content in many formats for ebooks, webbooks or print. U of L educators can request an educational version through the participation in the ABOER Publishing Initiative Open Education Alberta. You can also create a private account directly with the Pressbooks company in Montreal.
Once a book is published, viewers have easy and free access to digital publications or downloadable/ printable copies in a range of different formats.
One possible use for teaching is represented through this FitFOL2020 teaching resource, which has been designed to combine the delivery of information with the embedding of teaching/ learning activities. That way, our Pressbooks works much like a website and a textbook together. Unlike a traditional textbook, however, Pressbooks allows for the seamless integration of multimedia rich and interactive elements.
If you are curious to learn more about the use of Pressbooks for teaching, you can access the following tutorials here:
- Textbook format user guide with
- Short video tutorials
- Suggested starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkiGwwI4eKY&list=PL50LJVchZ8-JQ-GC4pYmFraI_NIKdziVh&index=3&t=0s
- Book set up and content
- Embedding you tube, word documents
- Using LaTex
- Exporting various file formats
- Some background information to OER and open textbooks for introductory users.
- Specific chapter on adapting open content
- Good project focused approach to textbook creation opposed to Pressbooks specific.
- Information about designing book features in pressbooks
- Information about file formats for publishing
- Information about adhering to publishing standards for print on demand.