Module 1: Learning Activity 1
Learning Theories in Context – Create a Collaborative Reference Resource (30-60 mins.)
BACKGROUND: This is a collaborative activity, in which all of us have a responsibility to contribute to the advancement of our hive knowledge. The activity will take you through multiple steps in a process, that will result in a reference resource that we can share. It will detail for us all important learning theories, but described in personal ways to put the theory into context for us. Please read the instructions closely to be able to make your valuable contribution.
Choose one of the theories to work on in this poll. Note that there is a limit in the number of people who can sign up for each theory. The earlier you make your pick, the more likely it is you can choose the theory you are most interested in. Otherwise, just go with the flow and take what’s left.
Access the two Readings below to find out more about the theory of your choice.
1. Harasim, L. (2017). Learning Theory and Online Technologies
2. Bates, T. (2015). Teaching in the Digital Age. See Chapter 2
Share the information you’ve accessed in the readings with us on our Collaborative Document (access for FLO participants only).
- Startby telling us about a personal learning experience that is an example or non-example of your learning theories.
- If your learning experience was an example of instruction or training that was grounded in the theory you chose, then you should include specific examples of the instructional strategies and explain WHY this is an example of that theory. OR: If your learning experience was not an example of instruction or training that was grounded in the theory you chose, then you should include specific examples of the instructional strategies and explain WHY they were not examples. Also, you should explain how the instruction or training would have looked if it was grounded in that theory.
- Asyou discuss the theory of your choice, please be sure you are referring to the literature (APA) to support your discussion about the characteristics of Behaviorism.
Exemplars: You might want to browse a few examples to get your creative juices flowing. You can read any of these 5 portfolios to see how others put this task into context.
5 Portfolios for your to browse for inspitation:
NOTE that if you need INSTRUCTIONS how to edit your part in the document, watch this video.